Skip to main content

Teaching Math Online with OneNote & Skype (part 1)

So, although I tried to avoid it, I ended up helping design and am now delivering an online course in mathematics this summer, specifically the Ontario Ministry course MPM2D (Grade 10 Academic).  Fortunately, for the design of the course, I worked with one of the most organized and creative teachers we have on staff - so that part turned out going really well.  (Part 2 of my reflection is here : Link)

We started off with a shared OneNote so that we wouldn't have to meet face-to-face that often - as it turned out, we met three times for lunch over the month of July and that was enough (we'd worked a lot together earlier so we know each other pretty well).  We ended up breaking the course into half and she took on quadratics and I took on all the other (smaller units) -- the course is predominately parabolas followed by Linear Systems, Analytic Geometry and intro to Right Angle Trigonometry.

OneNote worked really well -- she's a (relatively) new Mom so her additions were done throughout the day but mostly at night whereas I was enjoying my holidays and adding things as I got around to them.  Then, when we met for lunch (thanks, Cora's and Starbucks!) we talked about what we'd put in and where we needed to focus.  Like I said, she's organized, so we had to-do lists and meeting minutes all laid out.

We decided on a template with the Teacher Outline for each "class" (it was a four hour Skype call followed by support via Microsoft Teams throughout the day).  And we used the TO DO box to tag things that had yet to be completed - she was super-organized and would pull up a ToDo summary sheet each day to make sure we were on track.

And then, for the students, we tried to organize it into manageable hour long chunks -- since I was teaching it, it turned out that we would work together for 50 minutes and I would then insist they leave their computer for 10 minutes and walk away (PCMI rules!).  I had argued against four hours per day but given Ministry restrictions, it was the best we could do.  Then there was homework they were expected to do, with homework presentations at the start of each class -- we wanted to make sure that (a) they've done their practice work and (b) we had a way of bringing discussion into the class.

Since we were using a OneNote Class Notebook, it was really easy to drag all the content from our "working" OneNote into the students' Class Notebook, and clicking on DISTRIBUTE was so easy -- within a minute every student had a copy of the 6-10 pages for the day.  And when I wanted to give a quiz or test, I could hold back the content and then distribute it when I was ready.

There would be NO WAY we could do this course without all of us having OneNote and a pen-active device.  I can see all of their work, they can see all of my work and we can work together using OneNote in the same way as if we were side-by-side in a classroom.  I can remind the student below to label their axes, to provide headings to explain the averaging they're doing and the conclusion they've reached, for example. :)

Each day we meet in a Skype Room -- Office365 Skype made it easy... you can create a meeting once and the link is active for as long as you want it to be! And it has been incredibly reliable -- two of my students are in China and there is no issue with firewalls and the quality has been great.  The students very quickly go the handle of screen sharing and, the one time when one of the student's connection balked, I just threw up my copy of their OneNote and they could talk the way through it.
I would share my OneNote using ShareAWindow (not ShareADesktop because I had three monitors and was either monitoring their OneNote work in another window (even from China, it was syncing almost instantaneously when I was on that page) prepping the next activity or observing their work on a Desmos Activity.
I have also recorded all of the class -- okay, plus or minus the first couple of minutes when we're just chatting and I realize that I've forgotten to start recording :) .  So far no one has been absent so it's just as a way to justify to the Ministry the number of hours and to catalog for them how we're doing the course.  (In case you haven't noticed, the Ministry digs into independent schools in Ontario far more than they do public or Catholic schools ... and we're a 100+ year old school with 100% university entrance).

Now, how do I do assessment?  Fortunately, I have only four students (thankfully ... we have been doing French classes this way for the past five years but for our first year in Math we wanted to be sure we could be satisfied with the result).  To do the assessment, I have them each set up a Skype video call, they show their screens and do all of the work in the OneNote page I send them, and with three monitors, I watch their four screens and flip back and forth to listen to the audio.  Is it perfect?  No, but their exam they'll write back at school under typical conditions.  Plus it's why we're doing the homework and other presentations in the moment.

And we have relied on Desmos A LOT to bring the interactivity - we already use it a lot in our face-to-face classes and through the use of the Activities Dashboard I'm able to track progress, bring them back together to discuss and pull out screenshots to discuss with them.  The other teacher and I have been tagging each Desmos activity we use so that we can share them with the regular Grade 10 teachers next year (remember that in OneNote you can ask for a new page with all the content with a particular tag -- so we're going to pull pages Desmos, GeoGebra (for the analytic geometry & Trigonometry) and all the Reflection Questions we've tagged.
This is already getting long, so I'll likely write again on this experience -- and we're only about 1/3 of the way through.  My biggest concern -- discussion & questioning.  It's just not the same online!

Comments

felisha green said…
Do you need to increase your credit score?
Do you intend to upgrade your school grade?
Do you want to hack your cheating spouse Email, whatsapp, Facebook, instagram or any social network?
Do you need any information concerning any database.
Do you need to retrieve deleted files?
Do you need to clear your criminal records or DMV?
Do you want to remove any site or link from any blog?
you should contact this hacker, he is reliable and good at the hack jobs..
contact : cybergoldenhacker at gmail dot com
Laraib said…
Thanks for your post. I’ve been about writing a very comparable post over the last couple of weeks, I’ll probably keep it short and sweet and link to this instead if that's cool. Thanks. How to become a data scientist

Popular posts from this blog

Desmos, OneNote & Replay

So using Desmos activities are a great way to encourage exploration and discussion in math class -- if you haven't tried them, I encourage it.  They're collected at  https://teacher.desmos.com/  But ... Desmos doesn't give you quite enough.  It doesn't have a way of capturing the work that the student does within their space, and it doesn't allow for annotation of class contributions as we come together to discuss.  Well, not surprisingly, OneNote comes to the rescue.  Using the Windows shortcut Windows-Shift-S it is really quick to snag the Desmos screen and pop it into a waiting OneNote page.  From there, we can grab our pen and (using wireless projection) talk about what all the different responses mean and where to go from there. (An aside : one of the nice features of Desmos activities are the way you can hit PAUSE and it will pause all the screens of the students working.  I always give them a heads up "10 seconds to pause..." and it's refr

So you want to hack your OneNote Class Notebook

Taking a brief break from my "Getting Started with OneNote Class Notebook" series (you can start that one here )... This is a little advanced so if you're not comfortable setting permissions inside of Office365 you may want to avoid this.  Or set up a Class Notebook to play with so that it doesn't affect any existing Class Notebooks.  Yeah, the latter is a good option. One of the great powers of OneNote is that you can do some really neat permissioning of the Section Tabs. When the Notebook is created, of course, it gives you an "open permissions" on the Collaboration Space and student-read-only on the Content Library.  And then each student space is wide open to each individual student. But we've found that occasionally you want to mix up the permissions a little.  For example, you could create a space in a student section for your private notes that the student couldn't see, or maybe you want a tab in the Collaboration Space that students cou

Escape Room / BreakOut in OneNote

[[Part 2 of this article is here: Link] ] So when I was visiting  Anna in Edinburgh  during March Break, she showed me how she used Password-Protected OneNote sections within the OneNote ClassNotebook to help students check their work -- she set the password to the correct answer, so they knew they had it right when the Section opened up. I figured I could use this for Math Review, so I set aside a couple of hours (turned out to be 3 hours but a fair chunk of that was solution-time) the other night to put an Exam Review together for my Grade 10 Mathematics course.  I pulled together as many multiple choice questions and short answer questions on the topics as I could Google and tried to balance each Section with a mix of topics and then threw in a couple of pop-culture questions, too.  The students worked on the problems in each section and used the answers as passwords to unlock the next section until they got to the Prize section. Result?  Near total continual engagement